Our Top Secret Lemon Drizzle Cake Recipe
- 2 unwaxed lemons, well scrubbed
- 250g caster sugar
- 250g butter, softened
- 250g plain flour
- 150ml of milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 large free range eggs
- 120g granulated sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Use a non stick Oven Tray and butter the tin well.
2. Finely grate the zest of the lemons.
3. Put the Caster sugar in a bowl with the butter, milk, flour, baking powder, eggs and lemon zest.
4. Mix until the mixture is just combined and has a thick smooth texture. Spoon the cake mixture into the tin and level the surface.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until well risen and pale golden brown.
6. Test by inserting a skewer into the centre of the cake; if it comes out clean, the cake is done. Remove from the oven and rest in the tin for 5 minutes. Meanwhile squeeze the juice out of the 2 lemons and add to the granulated sugar.
7. Make about 50 deep holes in the top of the cake with a skewer.
8.Slowly spoon half of the sugar lemon mix over the top of the cake. Let stand for 5 minutes and then repeat with the rest of the lemon sugar. Leave to set for at least 1 hour before serving.
Or….. simply purchase lovingly home made from our shop on Glumangate!